Herb Club today was so much fun, we made marshmallows using marshmallow root. Its so amazing how awesome they taste. After making them I realized how much you could do with this recipe, how many variations you could try. Here is the recipe, have fun!!
1.5 cups water
1 cup honey
1 package of organic gelatin
2 T marshmallow root
- Decoct marshmallow root for five minutes.
- Strain marshmallow root decoction.
- Take 1/2 of the decoction and mix with the hydrated gelatin sheets in a bowl, whisk until mixed.
- Take the other 1/2 of the decoction combine in a saucepan with the honey and heat until it reaches 220 degrees (use a candy thermometer to measure this, it will boil, it will be very hot.)
- Slowly pour the honey/decoction mixture into the decoction/gelatin mixture and whisk to combine.
- Now you will blend it. Take a mixmaster or an immersion blender with a whisk attachment and mix and mix and mix. It takes about 5 – 8 minutes for this part. Once the peaks form you are mixed.
- Pour this marshmallow cream into a pan, lined in greased parchment paper. Set in a cool place to set. Setting time takes 2 – 7 hours depending.
- Once set cut into squares with a sharp knife dipped in water.
Options: You could add elderberry or hibiscus flower with the marshmallow root to colour the marshmallows. You could line the parchment paper with a topping such as coconut or lavender sugar and then sprinkle this on top as well. The ideas were pouring out at herb club today. I can hardly wait for bonfire season to begin.